Great customer service - it's where we live.

Community Development, Inc.

Residents: Find the forms and answers you need here.

Resident resources

Resale disclosure certificates
Are you selling your home? The law may require you to provide a resale disclosure certificate to the buyer. Use our convenient partner website to order the resale materials you need.
Order a resale disclosure certificate

Emergency assistance
For emergencies such as severe weather damage, water leaks or other imminent threats to your property, call our Emergency Line at (651) 229-3592. If this is a life-threatening emergency such as a fire, call 911 first, then call us. Please understand that homeowners will be charged a fee when calling this phone number with non-emergency requests. If you have a non-emergency question or comment please call our main office at (763) 225-6400.

Pay assessments

Note: there is a new and improved way to pay online via our Paylease Web Portal.  Please click below to start the process and create a new login to Paylease.  You will need your account number (your account number will need to be 8 digits, please add zeroes to the beginning of your account number so it is 8 digits long, your account number is available on your payment coupon) and your last name to get registered and make secure & easy online payments.

Paylease Web Portal for Online payments

Mail: (Must include a payment coupon)

c/o Community Development, Inc.
PO Box 105769
Atlanta, GA 30348-5769

Homeowner Website Login (if applicable)
Go here to gain access to your homeowners association website where you can review your account balance, transaction history, and many other features. The sign up process is easy. If you attempt to register and receive an error it’s possible that your homeowners association may have decided to not utilize this service or is using a different website provider. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Homeowner Website Login

Request a repair
Does your roof need some attention? Is your siding due for a repair? Submit a work order request for your board to review.
Submit a work order request

Report a violation
Spotted something wrong in your community? Please complete our violation report form.
Report a violation

Architectural change applications
Exterior improvements typically require prior approval from your board. If you’re planning to add a fence, paint the outside of your home or make another exterior change, download and complete this form today.
Submit an architectural change application

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) dues processing
Would you like to have your dues automatically withdrawn from your bank account? If you would, please download and mail the completed form to our office.
EFT Authorization Form

Questions? Feedback?
Contact us — we’re always glad to hear from you. You can also find answers by reading our FAQs.

Request a proposal from Community Development
Do you serve on your community’s board? Request a proposal to learn how Community Development can help your homeowners association.
Request a proposal